Monday, September 15, 2014

30 Paintings in 30 Days - Day Fifteen

"Compass, Columbine, and Colorado" LWatry©2014
Day 15 of the 30 paintings in 30 days and my alliterative title for my painting is "Compass, Columbine, and Colorado". My mom and dad moved back to Colorado when I was 3, so I concider myself a Colorado native. I love the beautiful landscape of Colorado and Columbine's are the state flower.

I enjoy painting columbines because of their unusual shape. I started this painting by putting a first layer of light paint on the petals of the flower and its stem so that I could tell where the flower was compared to the background map. Then after this dried, I painted the shadow on the map. I did this first so that the lines of the map wouldn't smear. I finished the columbine and then started on the compass.

The compass is a sun dial also and I like the retro or steam punk look it has. I used Quinacridone gold as the base color and a purple mixed with the gold to gray it down for the parts not hit by light. I wanted to put just enough detail on the compass, but not so much that it would take a long time to paint.

The map was finished after the compass and columbine were complete. I finished painting in the main lines of the Colorado highways and some of the other pertinent information. I used a #6 brush with a very fine tip to paint in all the small details on the map.

"Compass, Columbine, and Colorado" is a 6"x6" watercolor and it is available on Daily Paintworks for SOLD. Click here to purchase.


2 comments:

  1. i found your blog through a link, i forget where, but i'm really enjoying your daily paintings; they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete